Introduction to Driver’s Education Details: 3 Options for Taking a Course
- Face-to-Face Course: This is the preference for most students and families. Your school should have more information regarding class dates etc. Ask in the school’s main office or ask the driver’s education school contact. You can go to Mountain Professionals website and click on “School Classes” to see some of the face-to-face courses currently being offered.
- WRESA Online Course: This option was created to serve students who experience conflicts due to extra-curricular activities or after school jobs that prevented them from attending face to face classes at the school site. (When the Covid pandemic occurred, face-to-face classes were not available, so many students chose to take the online option.) Driver Ed courses offered through WRESA are completely ONLINE using pre-recorded videos and take 5 weeks to complete. There are a certain number of units due at the end of each week, and the students can work around their schedules to complete the work for that week. As long as students have a computer with internet access, they will be able to work on their assignments. Teachers monitor the students’ progress and are available to answer questions related to the content. If you want to take the online course, scroll down and watch the video “I want to take the online class through WRESA” and check out the information following the video.
- Virtual “Live” Online Course: This option for taking an online course is with WNC Driving School. They periodically offer a 30-hour virtual course where you will need to be online at specific times, with most classes meeting online at 6:00pm on most school days. As long as students have a computer with internet access, they will be able to work on their assignments and attend the virtual classes. Visit their website for more information.
Please check our frequently asked questions section at the end of the page.
Details regarding Steps in the Driver’s Education Process
1) 30 hours of Classroom Instruction: Students can either take a face-to-face course at their school, the WRESA online driver ed course, or they can take a course through a private driving company. If students take the WRESA online driver ed course, students/parents will need to complete the RIP form and submit it to Mountain Professionals either while the student is taking the online course or upon completion of the online course, but not PRIOR to taking the course. The student will not be added to the Driving Instructor’s list to be scheduled for driving until the RIP form has been received by Mountain Professionals and verified.
2) 6 hours of Driving Instruction: Mountain Professionals handles the Driving Portion of driver education for most of the online driver ed students. From the time Mountain Professionals sends the student and parent an email verifying that the RIP form is complete and that the information has been sent to the Driving Instructor, it is currently taking about 60 to 120 days for the Driving Instructor to call the student to schedule the driving.
3) Apply for a Learner’s Permit at the DMV: Students must take the Driver’s Education Certificate (which students receive after completing the 30 hours of Classroom instruction and the 6 hours of driving instruction) and the Driving Eligibility Certificate (which students receive from the school which indicates that the student is in good academic standing), to the DMV to apply for a Learner’s Permit.
***Note that homeschool students will need to apply online for the Driving Eligibility Certificate. Go to the NC DOA “Student Driving Info” for more information.
Choosing the WRESA “Online” driver education option: Important Information Prior to Registering
Registration Schedule for Online Drivers Ed Waiting Lists
Waiting List Waiting List Registration Status Status for Courses Being Offered Must be Born Before Courses Starting between Next Email To be Sent No Later Than
SPRING 2022 CLOSED CLOSED Nov 12, 2007 Mar 1, 2022 - Jun 30, 2022 Feb 23, 2022
SUMMER 2022 CLOSED CLOSED Mar 12, 2008 July 1, 2022 - Oct 31, 2022 June 23, 2022
FALL 2022 CLOSED ACTIVE May 12, 2008 Oct 1, 2022 - Dec 31, 2022 Sept 15, 2022
WINTER 2023 ACTIVE WAITING Sept 12, 2008 Jan 1, 2023 - Mar 31, 2023 Dec 15, 2022
***NOTE: YOU ONLY NEED TO BE ON “ONE” ONLINE DRIVER ED WAITING LIST: If courses are no longer being offered for your Waiting List, contact Richard Gabriel at email@example.com for assistance.